Cheng Mun Chee Kee Pig Organ Soup

I don't think I've ever featured pig's organ soup on this my blog before. It's not a dish I'm intimately familiar with, hardly ever having it growing up, so I'm not exactly crazy about it, nor do I ever crave it.

Cheng Mun Chee Kee is a name synonymous with pig's organ soup. The coffeeshop, a stone's throw away from the now demolished Lavender Food Centre, had always seemed a full-house everytime we took-away from Kok Kee. The late-night supper spot is open till the wee hours of the night, and so I thought it a viable option when I felt like something soupy and fortifying in the dead of night.

The Soup ($6) was a pick-and-mix, so we got a large bowl loaded with beancurd, lean pork, and pork ball, passing on the innards. I'd always thought this would be like a less-oily bak kut teh, but this was nothing like our local pork rib soup. It wasn't peppery or robust one bit, but it was heavy on the porky overtones. Suffice it to say, I'm still not a fan of the peasant food of a dish. Also, the chilli lacked punch and heat; I would have liked it more piquant, and a hellotta spicier.

The Oyster Sauce Xiao Bai Cai ($3) was passable in that cannot-fail way. Greens were crunchy, drenched in a light sauce, and topped with lashings of fried shallots.

I detected a hint of red wine vinegar in the Stir-Fried Cabbage ($3) which overwhelmed the delicate sweetness of the stewed cabbage.

The Hua Tiao Wine Chicken with Ginger ($3) sweetened with wolfberries, was ok but the chicken was less than fork-tender.

The Steamed Minced Meat with Chestnut ($2) was one of the better dishes, juicy and coarsely textured.

The only other worthwhile dish, the Braised Peanuts ($2), subtle in its soy marinade, was nicely done.


Cheng Mun Chee Kee Pig Organ Soup
24 Foch Road
Tel: 6297 5068
Open Tuesdays to Saturdays from 9am to 5am;
Sundays from 9am to 12midnight;
Closed on Mondays

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang