Gar Lok Eating House, Syed Alwi Road

My new resolution is to meet up with my friends at least once a month. That way, instead of seeing my friends just once a year, I get to see each of them at least 12 times a year. I met up with Kang over the weekend. It was just as well because he originally planned to eat Hakka beef balls at a coffeeshop near my house.

This newspaper-endorsed Hakka stall selling abacus seeds, soon kueh, yong tau foo and beef balls does the most brisk business in this old-school coffeeshop.

I usually hate beef balls, but these fresh handmade Beef Balls ($4) were devoid of any gamey taste and very clean in flavour, with the slightest taste of beef. They had a delectable bouncy, chunky texture and the clear soup base was also uncharacteristically delicate and light.


The stall also sells Hakka Yong Tau Foo ($4), in a clear, light and clean soup base, sweetened by yellow beans. Unlike other yong tau foo stalls, the ingredients are standard and fixed. I liked the freshness of the ingredients and how clear and light the soup was.


The Hakka Yong Tau Foo Stall Front


The Hakka Beef Ball Stall Front



The Beef House

Tel: 9821 5463 / 9665 4919
Open daily from 8am to 6pm, closed on Fridays


===================================


We supplemented the Hakka cuisine with a couple of dishes from the economy rice stall next to the Hakka stall. The Stewed Pork Belly and Egg ($3) was very homestyled, but decadent, with the use of fatty pork belly.


I also liked the simple but yummy Stir-Fried Squash with Tung Hoon ($2).


The Stall Front


The CoffeeShop



Gar Lok Eating House
217 Syed Alwi Road

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang